What is it?
Biomechanics is the study of the function and motion of the mechanical aspects of a biological system – our bodies.
At Active Life Podiatry, our expert podiatrists look at the whole body in terms of posture and movement to understand the underlying cause of pain or injury.
Your assessment is a detailed, thorough examination of your posture, gait, and if required, running technique.
- Visual and video observation
- Hands-on assessment of lower limb range and quality of motion
- Assessment of foot and lower limb muscle strength
- Gait analysis using specialised computer software to highlight any abnormalities in running or walking
- Force and pressure plate analysis of the feet in walking and running
Who is it for?
A biomechanical assessment is beneficial for those experiencing pain in their feet or lower limbs. This assessment is the starting point for understanding the cause of your problem, what treatment is needed or whether further investigations or referral to other healthcare providers are necessary.
From this assessment, we can form a treatment plan which may or may not include some or all of the following:
- Provision of foot orthoses
- Gait and running modifications
- Foot Mobilisation Techniques
- Shockwave Therapy
- Dry needling
- Laser therapy
- Injection therapy
- Target and treat the cause of pain
- Improve running and mobility performance
- Reduce the risk of further injury
“Using the most clinically advanced techniques, we diagnose and treat injuries or ongoing problems that cause pain and discomfort. We can also help to enhance sports performance and improve your running form.“
John Durkin, Clinic Owner & Biomechanics Specialist
#TakeSteps to look after your feet
Walking the dog, taking the kids to school, running a marathon, or even running for a bus, we take thousands of steps in a day. In fact, we walk nearly 75,000 miles in a lifetime. Our feet bear the weight of our steps and keep us moving every day.